its priti intrsting hw we cme up wid txt lingo... we dnt lern it in ny formal clasrum, yt jst lke ny new fad, we cn quikly adpt rselves! or prhaps lyk ny epidmic- we gt victimizd wel!
I understand if we use the abbreviation of words (textlingo) in sending text messages, but I am confronted by the fact that it have penerated the print media - where we get information, and 'education' as the least I could say before entertainment .
**********************
'Sometimes, even those that are uber careful get victimized. I know a finance professional who almost fell off his seat when he got a call from his credit card company confirming several hundred thousands of purchases in SM Bicutan. He doesn’t even know how to get there. Good thing the credit card company flagged the transaction and called him immediately. The scammer in the gasoline station must have made an extra swipe and got all his credit card information, transferred them into a new credit card and presto – the gas boy’s wallet just got bigger.'
I encountered this article while surfing inquirer.net for my daily dose of Philippine news.
It is my a habit to check new vocubulary words that I come across in any of my readings... So 'uber'??++&&%%## ... i re-read the sentence... even those that are UBER careful get victimized.
For the sake of 'Benefit of the doubt'.
No judgement.
I grabbed my dictionary , but can't find a such a word.
I checked Dictionary.com and found UBER with 45 meanings in German. I am not particulary sure which of those are the author's meaning for the word UBER in the sentence.
Correct me if I am wrong ... is it OVER or UBER (german meaning)??
Perhaphs its not even a txtlingo... probably a typo error... ( OBER , UVER)... editor sleeping... or differences in our regional dialects?
But then again,whatever the reason maybe, I am faced with a question and a concern .
What if its the issue of text lingo?Where it have brought many of us- including myself ?
I am 100% the author has explantion for this (probably a use of an elite word) or if a mistake ,sure its not intentional.
We all have flaws ... i have mine. I am not writing this to undermine anyone... but to share a reflection of a mirror that was set before my eyes... this can be a potential mistake we can all commit(unconsciously) .
Mobile phone / text messaging /using textlingo are all becoming 'a way of life' - it have been creeping in all of us and --- I believe we just need to be more cautious!
*****************
Tita Magi (a copy writer) explained the possible meaning of the word...
uber means over/super in german. kaya lang, dapat may umlaut (yung dalawang tuldok sa taas ng u). related kasi ang english and german languages kaya sa ating mas sanay sa inggles, it seems like a bastardized form of over. many are using that word these days, forgetting the umlaut, though i dont know if that's wise since it really is not an english word. but tama ka, we need to be more careful at buti ka nga masipag mag-expand ng vocabulary =)
FYI


No comments:
Post a Comment